Sunday, December 23, 2012

Birthday 2012

Let me start off by saying that I think birthdays are overrated. I know, it's a day to commemorate your birth, to remember that ___ years ago, your mother was in agony and that pain was (hopefully haha) worth it. On the other hand, I don't really understand why lavish parties have to be thrown, or huge sums of money spent on entertainment and all sorts of things on one's birthday. It just seems kind of redundant and pointless. Maybe I'm thinking this way because I recently came back from a rural village and feel more empathetic towards people in their situations and hence find that the extravagant ways in which we celebrate our birthdays really selfish and...wasteful? I can't find the right word to encapsulate the meaning, but you get what I mean. That being said, everyone deserves to feel special on their birthday, but there is more than one way to achieve that! It all depends on perspective, really.

At 12+ AM, I was busy replying the birthday wishes from the few sweet people who remembered. This year, I didn't really talk much about my birthday because...well yeah, as I said before, I didn't really feel that it was really that...special? Anyway, Genevieve called me sometime after 12 and told me that she made me a cheesecake and I was super touched!!! Hehe after we hung up I suddenly felt really tired and went to sleep.

Without meaning to, I woke up at 7.30AM and went for a run at the usual Stadium. I wanted to do interval training today but my legs and shoulders were terribly sore from carrying the percussion instruments and all that up down left right center the day before (Taka performance) so I just ran 2.4km and walked to cool off, before heading to the market to buy grapes and pineapples for breakfast! There is nothing better than exercising in the morning and having a healthy, yet delicious breakfast!

By the time I got bathed and dressed for church, it was already past 10AM and we had to rush off to church. We took some time tying up the loose ends for the Christmas/Baptism presents we had to give in church so that's why we were a LITTLE late!

Denise and Genevieve got baptized today and Gen's brothers were sitting behind me! Haha what a coincidence. The sermon was by Mr Peter Chao and I have always enjoyed his sermons but I guess today I was feeling pretty tired so I kind of dazed off a bit, oops.

After church, we went to Fish & Co. with my grandparents for lunch. I was rather disappointed as they didn't have salmon that day. Lunch was nice and not too filling, which was great!

Went shopping after lunch with the family. We stopped by the flea at *Scape to buy iPhone covers and screen protectors and try out the bubble tea from Artease, which really tastes like that of Koi's, and I probably will never buy a cup of bubble tea from there again. Stopped by Canelé at Paragon to buy a macaroon (yes, A macaroon hahaha) since I've heard so many raving reviews about it! We tried the chocolate-hazelnut one. The name starts with an F and is really hard to pronounce, we had an awkwardly difficult time conveying our order to the salesperson. It was huge - worth the $2.50. My entire family had 2 bites each and it was gone, so it's about 8 mouths full of delicious chocolatey goodness! I have only tried macaroons from Pique Nique, Bakerzin and Delifrancé and in my narrow scope of experience, Canelé has the best macaroons among the four! To be fair, I only tried one flavour, but I'm sure Ye rest are equally good! And I'm not just saying that for the sake of it, I have definite proof. I came back to the store after less than half an hour of shopping in Muji and almost all the macaroons were gone from the counter! Less than half an hour ago, each flavour had a whole row of no less than ten macaroons and now, almost all of them were gone! This shows how popular the macaroons are.

Went down to the food hall in Ngee Ann City after that and stopped for a sushi-break before going to Levi's, where it was so claustrophobic we escaped to Guess, where my dad bought me my birthday present - a pair of greyish-white skinny jeans! I know, I sound like such a hypocrite, what with my opinionated first paragraph, but birthday presents...I am not perfect and I'm just like any other first-world teenager hahaha.

Went to H&M to get a belt because I have a small waist (ha ha) and tried on a few dresses but decided not to get them as it wasn't a very urgent need (see, self-control!). Also, H&M was super crowded, even worse than Levi's! The bustling crowd of people in one shop probably caused most of us to become grumpy and lose our patience haha because I came out of the store feeling rather like the grinch of Christmas (or in this case, birthdays). Thankfully, there were people giving out free samples of Starbuck's iced coffee and that instantly cheered me up, although the coffee was obviously sugar-laden.

Went for dinner at Lerk Thai afterward, and it was a really satisfying dinner! My tummy is happy. :-) I don't know why I like Thai food so much, it's probably my favourite cuisine after Japanese and Italian! Green curry, Tom Yam, pineapple rice, pandan-leaf chicken...DELICIOUS. Having a average-sized meal of your favourite foods is way better than gorging yourself silly at a buffet! The obvious reason is that you are satisfied and don't leave feeling super jia-lat.

After dinner, we went to OG to buy a Guess handbag for my mother and spent quite some time at the toy department...oh agony.

By the time we left OG, it was about 8.30PM and the crowd was bigger and grumpier than ever! Pushed our ways through to 313 and sped home wheeeeeeeeeeee.

Ate Gen's cheesecake with two scoops of Haägen Dazs ice cream - perfecto.

What a way to spend my birthday!

The only downside is, tomorrow is study-day...whoopee.

I'm so thankful for all the friends who wished me a Happy Birthday and wrote me cute cards and made delicious cheesecakes and bought me great presents, as well as my family for always being there for me, for being so understanding and tolerant of my shopping habits hehe. ^_^ Most of all, I want to thank God for blessing me these past fifteen years. I really don't know what I'd do without any of them. :'-)


Regi's really amazing scrapbook. I don't think any friend has ever done something so sweet for me ever. :'-) Thanks, Raj!















Cheesecake from Gen! I was touched beyond words!!! :'-)


No comments :

Post a Comment