Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Dining Room buffet

My family and I went to The Dining Room to celebrate Everyone's Birthday just now (today is 人日!) hahaha. (It's just an excuse to eat good food #don'tjudge) This would be my second dining experience there and it was so much better than the first!

This time, I did not stuff myself as much and thus did not get the really jialat feeling after eating. Also, the food was much better tonight! They even had a mini yusheng set for people who wanted to lo hei in the restaurant (no one did, of course).

While we were eating, there was a Malay wedding taking place in the conference hall above us! It was cool to see the long procession of drummers and gift-bearers trailing behind the happy couple. Quite a unique sight too, as most Malay weddings are held in void decks. I guess now society is really evolving huh. :-)

Anyway, the service was impeccable, and I recognized one of the waiters from my previous visit there! I took a lot of photos (of rather poor quality, I'm sorry) and shall let the pictures do the talking!


I went straight for the sashimi - salmon and tuna! The salmon was super good and tasted really fresh. The tuna, on the other hand...well I guess it's an acquired taste. My dad said the tuna was really good as well too though.



Top left, clockwise: Duck confit, clams, seafood jumbo, corn from the salad station, fish curry, cajun salmon and assorted sushi rolls.

The duck confit was my favourite dish of the entire buffet spread. Pity I only took a few slices and when I went back, the only pieces of duck left were fatty and limp. :'-(
The rest of the food were pretty average. I loved the salmon, but I think I went a little overboard with the salmon (you'll see from my next few pictures).


They have a frozen yogurt machine!!!


Durian pengat


Bread and butter pudding, just what I was craving for!


Chocolate pralines, designed with the Chinese New Year theme in mind. The white ones are filled with red bean filling! Delicious, but a little too sweet.


  I skipped the gelatin desserts. 


 Fortune fish agar! I tried a little bit of this and wasn't too impressed with the taste.



 I think this cake was there in lieu of Valentine's Day, hence the heart shape. The chocolate ganache on the sides was to die for, as well as the crunchy hazelnut praline base. The chocolate mouse was a little to rich though. I took two slices of cake and ate only the hazelnut layer and the chocolate ganache tee hee.


 Top left, clockwise: Cold prawns, mussels, tamago and squid from the sashimi station.

The prawns were fabulous, took lots and lots of it as the evening progressed. Ditto for the mussels. The tamago (egg) and squid were tasty, but I didn't gorge myself on those.


Roast beef - absolutely thumbs-up!!! I asked for a "not too raw" part so I got the corner of the meat, but it still tasted wonderful. I love love love beef.


Seafood dumpling: avoid at all costs.


I tried the frozen yogurt, and smothered it with Oreo crumbs (yes, they have that in a bowl!!!) and chocolate sauce. They actually provided a bowl of chocolate sauce knowing how messy it can get when diners try to ribbon chocolate from the chocolate fountain onto their desserts. How convenient! All buffet places should do this, as it makes chocolate-coating sweet treats so much easier! Also, there's the said piece of chocolate cake, as well as a square of cheesecake that was below average.


 The Dining Room also boasts a waffle-iron that produces warm waffle squares, mmm. They have an assortment of toppings such as vanilla sauce, raspberries et cetera. I chose the caramelized bananas and chocolate sauce! Oh, as well as a tiny scoop of Triple Chocolate Chip and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. I loved the Mint Chocolate Chip flavor! I'm not really a mint person so this says heaps about the ice cream.


Top left, clockwise: Nonya kueh, durian pengat, chocolate cake, mint chocolate chip ice cream covered in Oreo crumbs!

The kueh was so oily and gross I didn't finish the entire piece. The durian pengat was not very fresh as well. Don't waste your calories on this. 


The top right corner is the duck confit. As I said earlier on, all that was left were a few straggly pieces of meat, sigh. :-(



A yummy bowl of corn and salmon to round off the meal! Strange but satisfying.


Overall, the bill came to about $204 for the four of us. There was a 15% discount for each adult so...you do the math. For the amount of money we paid, I would say it's not cheap, but not expensive either.

The ambiance is very good - relaxing and posh. The marble walls, marble columns and sky-high ceiling certainly helped to achieve this laid-back atmosphere. The service staff were warm and friendly as well.

The food was more "hit" than "miss" so I would definitely consider this to be one of the better few buffets in Singapore that won't burn a huge hole in your pocket. However, I really need to stay away from buffets in the near future as buffets are terrible for people like me, who have almost negligible self-control when it comes to food...

No comments :

Post a Comment