Sunday, February 24, 2013

Westlake Restaurant

Today's the last day of the Chinese New Year festivities, and also the last day of the weekend - two reasons to be sad today! Haha but I did spend my day quite happily. We had a combined sound-check rehearsal at the Singapore Conference Hall (SCH) with Presbyterian High as well as Clementi Town. As it was a Sunday, church-goers were allowed to report directly at SCH at 2 pm while others had to report in school at 10.30am. Perks of being in God's family! Haha I'm just kidding.

Had a lazy breakfast at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (lol don't judge) and headed to church after that. Accidentally ordered my coffee with sugar so I had no choice but to gulp down a whole cup of sugared coffee...*shudders*

After church, we went to Maxwell Food Center where I queued almost half an hour for my fish meat noodles! Even my parents, who ordered the famous Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice were done with their meal by the time I got my food. Nonetheless, it was reeeeally good fish meat noodles and worth every single calorie (I opted for fried fish, oops). I wanted to get Lao Ban tau huey for my section but decided against it as there was probably little time to eat it anyway and tau huey tastes terrible when lukewarm!

Jin Hua Fish Head Bee Hoon
Worth every single calorie/minute/penny.

We did not really do much at the sound-check, other than the obvious, which is to listen and play. Haha. Okay that wasn't even funny. I sounded terrible as my reed was dying and was too soft and hard to control. Playing softly and in tune with musical expression on a soft, dying reed is an absolute nightmare. Mezraq said we played well though. LOL, don't know if he was just being nice or I'm a really harsh critic. (cough)

After dismissal from band, I met my family at Westlake restaurant near school for our last reunion dinner! We ordered the signature braised pork buns, yam ring, Westlake tofu combination as well as the red bean pancake that my mother could not stop singing praises of. The restaurant was so full and busy that we were fortunate to get a seat outside! Well, there was a nice breeze blowing so it was still a rather nice ambiance - laid-back and 'lax. The total bill came up to about $68 but it was worth every penny. I guess I save my stomach (and money) throughout the week for treats during the weekends. ^_^





Braised Pork with Bun
 Westlake's Signature Braised Pork with Buns
$14 for five
The buns were really thick and fluffy, but to me they were just an excess source of carbohydrates. The pork was tasty, meat interlaced by strips of fat. The fat is supposed to be eaten with the meat but there is only so much unhealthiness that I can take.




Westlake Tofu Combi
 Westlake Tofu Combination
$12
I liked the "whiter" tofu better, but both tasted good. The "whiter" tofu has a sweeter taste to it, perhaps due to the sauce. The "darker" tofu is crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, but has a little to much bean-taste for me.



Yam Basket
Yam Ring
$18
My all-time favourite zi char dish! The yam was succulent and the chicken cubes were juicy and tender. The prawns were also tasty but nothing to scream about. After all, it's the yam that we're all after. ;-)



Red Bean Pancake
$7
This pancake was so good. The red bean paste was so thick and they were really generous with the red bean to pancake ratio. I think the quality of the red bean is also different from the usual red bean paste items you can get elsewhere in Singapore from places such as Jollibean or Mr Bean. The pancake was thin on top and a little thicker on the bottom, but not too thick. The only gripe I have about this is the amount of oil. The pancake was so sinfully oily I felt so guilty after demolishing four pieces off in a sitting! Oh well, occasional indulgences are fine...I suppose.

I love weekends and school starts tomorrow boo hoo but all is well as Saturday will come again soon CYA

No comments :

Post a Comment