Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wild Honey

I wanted to have Saturday brunch with the family last Saturday but because of time constraints, we were unable to do so. On the same day, Victoria recommended this restaurant called Wild Honey to me for brunch and since I have read lots of glowing reviews about the restaurant, we went all out for it on Sunday!

We wanted to call to make a reservation beforehand but they do not take reservations. Hence, upon arriving at Mandarin Gallery at 12.30pm, we waited close to an hour before getting a table! There were nine tables ahead of us in line, so you can roughly estimate the waiting time for just one table! On hindsight, it might have been wiser to visit the restaurant during odd hours, such as 4pm or 5pm, where it may be less crowded. Nonetheless, the atmosphere was great and our grumpiness from an empty stomach was left at the door as we stepped into the cosy restaurant. The ambiance simply oozes the "chillin' by the fireplace" vibe and the furniture is really vintage. It reminds me a lot of Carpenter and Cook! The chairs are (intentionally) mismatched and they are just so plush! I could fall asleep on one of those (much to the annoyance of the many hungry customers on the waiting list hee hee).

We ordered the three signature items: English, European and Tunisian.

Be prepared to drool.


Bad lighting, but it says "Wild Honey // No place like home".



Tunisian ($19)
Sizzling pan of spicy shakshouka (tomato, onion, red pepper, chilli), studded with Chorizo sausage, crowned with two fried eggs, signature brioche and Israeli salad. TO DIE FOR.



I mean, just look at that heavenly-looking yolk!





European ($19)
Eggs Benedict with two perfectly poached eggs, sauteed mushrooms, imported Italian prosciutto and home-made Hollandaise sauce on signature brioche. My favourite dish, especially when the runny egg yolk oozes all over the brioche. Mmm, high-cholesterol goodness I say!





English ($24)
The full works. Scrambled eggs, back bacon, Cumberland pork sausage, sauteed mushrooms, Dad's baked beans, breakfast potatoes, grilled vine ripened tomato and signature brioche. Reminds me so much of the English breakfasts I indulged in in London. :'-)





Further scenes should be censored for fear of sending you into howling envy.



Does this really need a caption?



The tomato from the English still had the stems on! It was juicy and succulent all right, no fear for genetically modified tomatoes here!

All in all, I feel that Wild Honey is the kind of restaurant that you should visit at least once in your lifetime. The price is rather steep for a brunch item but I guess occasional indulgences are healthy for the soul (though not for the pocket), right? I would recommend the scrambled eggs and the brioche more than anything else! The next time I visit, I am just going to order the bread basket ($15) and a side of scrambled eggs!

No comments :

Post a Comment