Sunday, May 12, 2013

Long Beach Seafood Restaurant

  Singapore is home to a lot of different foods, and among them, chilli crab certainly ranks high on the list. Many people venture into the east in search of delicious crabs done in an assortment of styles - in chilli gravy, black pepper or buttered. However, one restaurant chain that is synonymous to chilli crab is Long Beach. You can be assured that even though you may be in the west, you will still be treated to a spectacular dish of the crustacean.

  Craving for chilli crabs, my family made a reservation at Long Beach on a Friday night, and thankfully, there were seats for us. The lady even asked if we wanted female or male crabs! We chose the former, as female crabs contain eggs which my mother enjoys eating. Also, I was absolutely in dire need of some deliciously fried golden buns, or known more commonly as the man tou. It is basically the Chinese version of the dinner roll, but much smaller, deep-fried and softer. One of the highlights for me whenever I eat chilli crabs would be mopping up every bit of the chilli gravy with the fresh, hot man tous.



First up: Drunken prawns in a herbal soup broth. The prawns are actually given alcohol before being cooked, thus resulting in a alcoholic taste in the prawn body! Mm, the warm herbal broth was delicious as well, especially on a cold night. I did not really enjoy peeling the prawns, as I got rather disgusted by decapitating the prawn, even though it is already dead. There were fourteen prawns in total, shared among the four of us. I strongly recommend this to any first-time diners to Long Beach!



Stir-fried beef: We ordered this mainly for the brother, who refuses to eat the chilli crab because it is "too spicy". He literally had the entire plate to himself, accompanied with a half-bowl of rice. But who goes to a seafood restaurant to eat beef? Besides, judging by the photos, there was not much beef, and it set us back a whopping $16! I would have much rather spent it on thirty-two man tous...



They look like perfect golden eggs!



Ah, the star of the meal, featured on every table in the restaurant. I absolutely loved the chilli gravy and literally shoveled spoon-fulls of it into my mouth! It had a sweet and eggy texture to it and was only mildly spicy, not potent enough to send me into hysterics as I do when my tongue is numbed by spiciness. I am not kidding when I say that everyone has to try this.











Fresh hot man tou with a crisp outer skin and soft fluffy bread dipped in chilli gravy...pure decadence. I don't care how many calories this cost me but I am in looOOooOve.



Last but not least, the Ee fu noodles. It was all right, albeit a bit too oily. The noodles were delicious! They were unlike other ee fu noodles that I have tried before. The noodles were like a hybrid of the Chinese hor fun and the Thai rice noodles. I really love ee fu noodles and this is a good contender for one of the better ee fu noodles I've had. If only it was not so oily!


  The total bill was about $130, but I guess an occasional treat is fine. :-) For people looking for good crabs, Long Beach is a good option, although you may find better ones in the east. However, for people who live in the west, well, there is nothing wrong with Long Beach, but it may just be a little more expensive as compared to other restaurants offering crabs in the east side.


Long Beach Seafood Restaurant (IMM)

2 Jurong East Street 21
#03-07 IMM
Tel: 65669933


No comments :

Post a Comment