Friday, August 30, 2013

Marriot Café High Tea buffet

Taking advantage of the 1-for-1 High Tea buffet promotion at the Marriot Café, my family and I dined there on a Tuesday afternoon. Surprisingly, the restaurant was full and there were many tai-tais stuffing their faces with food. It was most ungracious as many of them "snatched" the more "worth-it" dishes such as the salmon, prawns et cetera. However, our second experience at the Marriot Café was not to be ruined by such trivialities.

The spread was veered more towards local food, as there were popiah, bak kut teh, chicken rice, sayur lodeh, satay and laksa. For desserts, there was a do-it-yourself ice-kachang station as well. However, the classics such as smoked salmon, prawns (as I mentioned before), ice-cream and cakes were present as well.


Finger sandwiches, as with all High Teas.
Tuna, Ham and Cheese, Smoked salmon.
I enjoyed the tuna sandwiches the best. I placed a slice of smoked salmon in between the two slices of bread and ate it together with the tuna. The mayonnaise, tuna and salmon all complemented one another perfectly. It was so delicious, I had about seven of such sandwiches, departing my steadfast rule of never eating too much carbohydrates during a buffet.



Smoked salmon and Gravlax salmon.
I enjoyed the spices on the gravlax salmon much better than the plain smoked salmon. However, over-dosing on smoked salmon can be rather unpleasant and the raw, fishy taste soon gets too overpowering.





Scones, popiah and tuna puff (not pictured) live station. It was rather strange how they grouped these vastly different food items together. However, the chef was only preparing the popiahs "live".



Red bean pancakes! The pancake skin was a bit too fried, though the generosity with the red bean paste cannot be neglected.



The bread bar, which also comprised of three cakes: Banana, Fruit and Butter. I enjoyed the banana cake immensely, though it was not tempting enough to cause me to break my no-carbs rule.

Also, there was a very persistent fly on the cloth used to hold the loaves of bread firm. It was rather unappealing and made me forget about the breads altogether.



Oh, glorious ice-cream! The mint and strawberry flavoured ice-creams were stellar, while the rest were forgettable. However, I felt that it was a bit too creamy for my liking, leaving me with a very bloated feeling afterwards.



The ice-kachang station. The grass jelly bits were surprisingly good, thick and gelatinous. The red beans were a bit of a disappointment as they were a tad under-cooked.



Though they look enticing, do not be fooled! They were merely average.



Bread and Butter pudding with chocolate, maple and vanilla sauces. The pudding was so-so, but very photogenic.




Well, so I had a slice of bread...it was tasty with the abundance of nuts and raisins, but nothing to shout about.



The popiah was absolutely fantastic! Bursting with ingredients, and a juicy piece of prawn in each piece!



The oyster omelette was over-fried and lacklusture. I felt that they only good dish here was the sambal prawn, which were very juicy.



The sayur lodeh was a disappointment, to say the least. The char siew pau was not bad, but not wonderful as well. However, to its credit, I enjoyed that the bun was soft and warm. Probably because it had just been taken out of the steamer, but still.



Ah, this plate is a representation of my favourite dishes. The scone was terrific! The outsides were a little crisp but the inside was buttery and oh-so-soft! I spread the luscious strawberry jam on it and it was heaven in each mouthful.



The chocolate profiteroles were the best out of these, in my opinion.




Ah, the mint ice-cream was great while I was eating it, but I felt terribly guilty after finishing two cups of it.



The bak kut teh soup was a mockery to all bak kut tehs out there. However, the yong tau foo ingredients I added into the soup were good (meatballs, sausages, prawns, dumplings).



As you can see, I went a little overboard with the sandwiches.




My second cup of ice-cream! One cup too many, I feel.



Oh lovely, lovely scone.

(Please don't judge me for wearing my Havaianas to a hotel restaurant, ha ha! Comfort > Fashion any time.)


The total bill came up to be $87 for the four of us, which is a pretty good deal considering that it was both lunch and dinner. Marriot Café has always been one of my favourite buffet restaurants, though I think I may stay away from its High Tea sessions in future. After all, why would you pay so much for hawker fare?




No comments :

Post a Comment