Monday, September 08, 2014

Oven-grilled Ham and Cheese sandwich


I've been wanting to make a real grilled cheese sandwich for the longest time ever. The closest I've ever come to one was squishing a slice of cheese in between a slice of bread and cramming it into the toaster. Yes, it sounds unappetising but it works out pretty okay-ish.

Anyway, I never got the guts to whip up a "proper" one because I have extraordinarily poor skillet skills (alliteration level up!!!) Imagine my excitement when I found out you could actually make a grilled cheese sandwich using an oven! No more clumsy flipping over with awkwardly-handled spatulas!

I really liked how the crust of the sandwich was so gloriously crisp. I don't know if grilling bread on a pan can achieve that same crispness, without tasting burnt! I also used salted butter (because I ran out of butter and the convenience store only sold salted butter heh), which gave the bread this ~~~saltiness~~~ (obviously) that was really unique and I liked it! :-)

It was a great breakfast.


I present to you, the Oven-Grilled Ham And Cheese Sandwich.


What you will need:
(makes one)

a stick of butter (I used salted butter)
two slices of bread
two slices of cheese (I used Kraft cheddar cheese)
a slice of ham


Method:

1. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil.

2. Butter one side of bread and place it, buttered-side-down, on the aluminium foil

3. Place your choice of ingredients on the bread (I did it cheese-ham-cheese)

4. Butter the other slice of bread and place it, buttered-side-up, on top of your sandwich

5. Set the oven to ~220°C and bake the sandwich for about 8 minutes

6. Flip the sandwich over and bake for another 6 minutes, or until golden-brown

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

(Alternatively, you could make it open-faced sandwich! Just skip step 4!)
You'll end up with something like this:









No comments :

Post a Comment