Friday, November 28, 2014

Fudgey (and Healthy!) Avocado Brownies


With all my recent baking adventures, I felt extremely guilty, for both myself and the friends who have been eating my bakes. Ingesting tons of butter and sugar certainly does no good to anyone. Also, I wanted to bake something for my colleagues to thank them for being so welcoming to me during my internship! The firm I was interning at was an international firm (London-based) and so they were mostly expats. There is a sort of stereotype that expats tend to be more health-conscious, hence to be on the safe side, I definitely needed a healthy recipe. And so I scoured the Internet for healthy baking ideas.



This is probably the oldest trick in the book, but using avocados (a fat-busting superfood) to substitute butter (a fat-bomb)??? I'M IN!!! Another incentive was because I wanted to convince my avocado-hating friends that avocados weren't as bad as they thought it would be!!! Suffice to say that they were convinced, after trying these brownies. :-)

(though Kai said they smelt like barbecued pork...what even?!?)

These brownies were sooo rich! I had to cut them into teeny tiny pieces or else it'll be way too overwhelming! There is only a hint of avocado. The chocolate takes the stage. If you don't like your brownies fudgey, I would advise you to control the amount of cocoa powder added. It makes all the difference.


What you will need:
makes about 18 brownies


two ripe medium-sized avocados

two eggs

two teaspoons of vanilla essence

a tablespoon of water

100g of semi-sweet cooking chocolate chips

a cup and a tablespoon of cocoa powder

one-third a cup of sugar (my brownies weren't very sweet, so adjust according to your tastes)

half a teaspoon of baking soda 



Method:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.

2. Line your brownie pan with a sheet of baking paper.




3. Slice the avocado into small chunks. Then, in a food processor, puree your avocado.



4. Throw in the eggs, vanilla essence and water in the food processor, blending until smooth. Pour the mixture out into a large bowl




5. Melt the chocolate chips (I used a microwave and it is fool-proof!) and mix through your avocado mixture in the large bowl.



6. Add in cocoa, sugar and baking soda, mixing until just combined. If your mixture is too thick, add another tablespoon or so of water to combine.




7. Scoop your mixture out of your large bowl, into your prepared pan. Smooth out the top and make sure you spread out the mix to all of the edges! You might not want the batter to be too thick.

8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and a skewer inserted removes clean. 

9. Leave to cool before taking out of the pan and chilling in the fridge. Slice and serve chilled. The wait will be worth it!

No comments :

Post a Comment