Sunday, November 09, 2014

Molten Chocolate Cake


The only reason why I bought a ramekin was to make molten lava cake...but it turned out, the ramekin was huge so I used my trusty old muffin tin instead.



It was an impromptu decision to bake molten chocolate cakes tonight! I was thinking about how busy my holidays would be and decided that if I ever wanted to work through my "baking bucket list", I had to start now!!!



Baking molten chocolate cakes are something that I've put off for a really long time because, well, I was afraid. Afraid that my cakes would have non-gooey centers, aaaand well basically afraid of failure. I don't know what got into me, but I decided to just do it anyway and I'm glad I did!



These molten chocolate cakes turned out pretty good for a first attempt. It is SO CHOCOLATEY and tastes simply amazing. The only drawback, I feel, is that it looks terrible. Hahaha, that's the result of not greasing your muffin tin enough/using a shallow muffin tin/under-baking/??? I'm not a professional baker so I don't really know what went wrong, but after baking my second batch for a longer period of time (3 minutes more?), the cakes were slightly firmer and didn't collapse upon tipping out of the moulds.




What you will need:
(makes 12 cakes)


one cup of unsalted butter (plus more for greasing) 
350g of cooking semi-sweet chocolate 
one and a half cups of caster sugar 
large eggs
a pinch of salt
teaspoon of vanilla essence
half a cup of all-purpose flour


Method:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200℃.



There is nothing better in the world than melted chocolate, seriously!


2. Melt the chocolate in a microwave oven by 2 minute intervals, stirring after each "round" of melting. Set aside to cool.





3. Cream the butter and sugar together, until combined.

4. Beat in the eggs one by one.

5. Add the salt, then vanilla extract, stirring continuously.



6. When all is smoothly combined, stir in the cool melted chocolate and blend it into a thick, smooth batter.




7. Divide the batter among your greased muffin tins (I scooped about two tablespoons of batter into each mould)

8. Bake for about 13 minutes.




9. Remove from oven and tip these babies over! Enjoy with a generous scoop of vanilla ice-cream, if you will. :-)



No comments :

Post a Comment