Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014

First of all, this has been one heck of a year.
I don't quite know how to start this off, for fear that trying to put all the experiences I've been through; friendships forged; lessons learnt - everything, into words would ruin the magic of it. It seems like a bit of an exaggeration to call it "magic" but I honestly do feel this way!!!

There were lots of firsts this year, both good and bad, I suppose. More firsts than lasts, actually, now that I think of it. New experiences with new people make life a lot more exciting, but I'm thankful for the constants in my life who have accompanied me through this year of change.

This comes at the risk of sounding extremely clich├ęd and corny but it was only after leaving familiarity (St. Marg's) that I truly started to appreciate...everything about the school. The friends, definitely; the closeness of the school community; the teachers; the building itself; the routine, everything! I guess that only goes to support the "you only miss something when it's gone" theory. But knowing how much I took all these things for granted also allowed me to treasure the bits I have left of it even more (aka the friendships haha), and also motivated me not to make the same mistakes I did in Raffles.

Music-wise, it has been a rather eventful year as well. Joining RSB introduced me to a whole new band culture, one that I wasn't quite used to. The freedom and trust given in a junior college band was a concept alien to me, coming from a band which was beginning to operate by fear (it's the sad truth). The passion for music that both my seniors and batch-mates had/showed was really inspiring and it both motivated and inspired me. It still takes some getting used to, and at times I still don't really agree with the "system", but I guess it is all part and parcel of life - you can't always have everything your way and sometimes, maybe your way isn't better (gasp!) ((I kid))

Joining SNYO (well technically YS, but still) also allowed me to be exposed to a whole different genre of music. Orchestral work and band works are really different and up till this year, I limited myself to only being familiar with the standard school band kind of music. I'm glad I got acquainted with orchestral works, though, because they are really really beautiful (and also served as part of my studying playlist when preparing for Promos, lol!) More than the exposure in music, I got to meet different people and found friends in a few of them. I would probably never have gotten to know these people if not for YO, so I'm really thankful that I have.

It has also been a year of self-discovery. I've learnt a lot about myself and my natural tendencies - some good, some bad. It's great that I am more aware because only then can I work on improving and bettering myself, to be the best possible me I can be (does this make sense?)

Finding new hobbies is also something to be thankful for this year. I won't say for sure that I have a "passion" in photography or cooking (including baking and everything), but I did enjoy myself as I dabbled in a bit of both this year. Who knows, maybe I will develop these skills more in the future! For now though, I'm happy with them being side hobbies I can indulge in as and when I want.

There has definitely been regrets this year. Some of them are too late to remedy, but there are a few I hope to change. One thing I know for sure is that tough times build character, and though I haven't exactly been through "tough times" per se, I did go through a bunch of problems and complicated issues that I think I have learnt a great deal from. Hence a year older, a year wiser, right?

As always, time can never run backwards. There are just so many things I'm looking forward to in 2015 and I already can't wait to start on this new adventure.

No comments :

Post a Comment