Wednesday, May 11, 2016

I failed my driving test

Following my habit of updating this space of ~major life events~, I guess I cannot avoid sharing about How I Failed My First Driving Test. :( All right, this is not really making me feel any better so I shall stop with the demeaning snarkiness and just tell it like it is!

It is actually really common for manual (Class 3) learners to fail their test on the first try. My instructor has a passing rate of 20-odd%...(for first-timers) so I am in the majority. That does not make me feel any better. I failed with 50 demerit points, way above the passing mark of 18 points. After much review, I found that 34 points were awarded due to my failure to check blind spots/confirm safety. The other 16 points were rather retarded as well. Basically, my driving techniques are all right (except engine braking) but I am a dangerous driver and thus cannot be released onto our safe Singaporean roads (yet).

I suppose my main regret is that I did not do my due diligence before investing time and money into a private driving instructor (PDI). I decided to learn from a PDI because it was (supposedly) cheaper, faster, and you get the same instructor so he can track your progress better than in a driving school where you get different instructors each practice. I got a contact from Yi Wen, who got it from her friend and just engaged this instructor without checking him up online. I didn't even bother finding out his name and passing rate, for goodness' sake! This was a decision that would cost me, because he was not a very structured teacher. He does not really refer specifically to the "rubrics" of the driving test and just taught me how to drive, park, etc. So yeah, I learnt how to drive but I am a dangerous driver and failed my test because of that. He did not teach me how/when to check blind spots, which is quite a fatal mistake to make in both test and when actually on the road!

On the bright side, learning driving from him, and subsequently recommending Xiao Feng to him LOL sorry Avartar (but he passed on first try), helped improve my relationship with Avartar because it gave us a mutual topic that we were both passionate about HAHA. I cannot remember how many conversations and jokes and rants we had about Uncle Tan (not his real name) lololol.

Now, I'm taking lessons from another PDI at BBDC and it has got off to a kind of rocky start because his schedule is reallllllyyyy packed and it's difficult to book lessons with him. :( This whole driving ordeal (it isn't even over!) has taken a massive toll on my personal life. I am nowadays easily depressed at the thought of how much more money I would need to throw in to getting my license, as well as feelings of self-doubt that I can even pass the test at all. I'm funding all my lessons so it is just so demoralising for me to see all my hard-earned money going to PDIs who seem not to give a hoot about you, only your wallet. And since I'll be going away for 2 weeks in June, the thought of having to start learning from scratch (or close to scratch, since I'm learning in a different car and many things are different!) is very upsetting. So yes, driving is an extremely sore topic for me right now. :(

I'm sorry I have to end the post on such a gloomy note but I guess it is evidence of how much driving sucks the joy out of me haha..ha..ha.

No comments :

Post a Comment