Sunday, February 19, 2017

Year 1 Sem 1 (Law School)

I realised I have totally neglected this space since University started. Since it's the start of recess week, I'll (try to) recapture everything that has happened into one succinct blog post. I think it would be a lot easier if I separated everything by...context, so here goes!

Law School
I missed Law Camp because I was in America during that period so I didn't get to make friends from my OG or have an SP or go through Fright Night or suffer living in Eusoff Hall. Essentially, I MISSED OUT ON A LOT but it didn't occur to me back then. The only other person I knew who was going to NUS Law was Liz. We met in Y5 during the JC Law Programme thing and were acquaintances?friends? since. I can't remember what exactly transpired this conversation but somehow, we were texting while I was still in the US and she told me that sign-ups were open for Rag and they had already started practices! I heard of seniors talk about Rag and had a very very vague idea of what it was: a time-consuming but fun orientation bonding thing, so I thought since I missed out on Law Camp, I should join Rag to make friends, right!??! Turns out, not quite so.

Rag
The day I flew back to Singapore, I Facebook messaged some of the Law Camp seniors in-charge of Rag (Yew Boon I think??) and found out the final final auditions were the very next day LOL. So I decided to just go for it and see what happens. Me, who has never danced in my life and even had problems with the JC orientation dance HAHAH. Liz was nice and offered to meet me at Buona Vista to go for practice together because I had no clue where the "Dance Atelier" was. That same bus conversation also resulted in me being adopted into OG10.

In a nutshell, I thought I wouldn't get into any of the Rag scenes because they placed priority on attendance for past practices and since the audition day was literally Day 1 for me, my attendance obviously sucked la haha. Also, the taped runs at the end of the practice was truly mortifying because I forgot all the steps HAHAHA - I distinctly remember at some point I was standing up and everyone else was doing some rolling thing on the ground lmAO. Anyway, I guess our seniors really believed in being inclusive and giving everyone a chance so they let me join the contemporary dance scene, which was cool. :-)

Rag practices took up quite a lot of my time during the July-August period. I think we had two or three practices a week?! Which is not that many but I guess it still is a commitment nonetheless. The people in the contemp scene were mostly from OG 2 and 7, no one I knew except for Najla (whom I only knew because she's Nic's cousin!), who also didn't really know anyone in our scene. It was really difficult to fit in and I always felt very shameless in introducing myself to people and striking up conversations. But I am really bad at small talk and get too comfortable with people too quickly, so I think I may have come off as a bit weird :( So slowly I receded back into engaging in small talk with different people and never developed any real, strong friendship from Rag. On the plus side, I got to make many acquaintances, including people from other scenes! In this aspect, Rag helped me ease into law school proper later on, because the faces I saw in the corridors and in lectures were somewhat familiar and we could at least exchange smiles/hi-bye. So there were both goods and bads. Something no one told me was that people usually join Rag/Rag scenes as an OG -- OG 10 wasn't very involved in Rag, and everyone else were already pretty comfortable with their own OG cliques so that's probably part of the reason why I felt it was difficult to fit in. BUT all in all, it was cool pushing myself out of my comfort zone and knowing I have survived Rag (the social anxiety is SO REAL) makes me feel a lot more confident in approaching other similarly scary social situations. Here are some Rag photos to break up the chunks of verbal diarrhoea.

I actually cropped myself into the picture because I wasn't around when this was taken lel. The ostracism is REAL jk it's just me being really really socially awkward.

Qing Kai actually came down at 8.30am to watch our 9am performance. :') Was really touched because 1) this guy doesn't wake up till like 11 and is always late for everything and 2) his house is really far away so he must have woken up really early to get to NUS early. :')

Matriculation Week
Matric Week is supposedly when the new freshies (those who didn't go for camp) come into Law School and also when I would be properly introduced to my OG. Funny story, I actually went for an OG dinner thing before Matric Week where I didn't know anyone except their names (from WhatsApp) thinking it would be a good platform to make friends. NOT SO hahahah it was so awkward, I literally approached Zhe Yi and Shona and asked "Are you guys from OG 10?" at the MRT station...lols.... ANYWAY, Matric Week was okay...managed to talk to a few girls from my OG, especially Juls and Su. Oh, another funny story: Su was also a new freshie in OG 10 and when I met her, she seemed really familiar and we spent half the morning figuring out where we had seen each other from, when Su remembered -- we met at the PA scholarship interviews where we were put into the same waiting group!! I remembered how we managed to somewhat click then and it was really very cool because from then, I found it very comfortable and nice to talk to her :-) cool cool.

Matric Week ended with PUTS, which by then I was a little more settled into law school and had a few friends. But I didn't feel entirely comfortable and "a sense of belonging" to NUS Law yet.




I joined volleyball as well because I liked playing the sport during PE in RJ, and I thought sports in Law was more of a recreational thing but no...these girls are good and are actual, legitimate volleyball players HAHA so Naj and I kind of noob around together.

School starting
To be honest, law school really went by in a blur. So here are some highlights:
- found a bunch of friends in Ragless (the irony, because I joined Rag to make friends (supra [2] LMAO) but my friends would be the people who didn't join Rag?!?!
- got closer to Juls and Shona who would later be really my pillars of support in Law School <3
- am on talking terms with people in my tutorial groups and stuff but we aren't that close
- ya nothing else LOL because I was a lot lot lot more involved in Hall (see below)

Academic-wise...it was tough initially and still tough now. At least I think I am getting the hang of it, but finding focus and motivation to study is really a problem. I feel overwhelmed whenever I crack open the books muggers and slides to study...really counting on God for this one hahaha HAVE FAITH!!!!! IT WILL BE OKAY IN THE END!!!! is literally what I tell myself every day.

Ragless girls

 
Friendship with Juls and Su

No comments :

Post a Comment